Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello...
Hello all,

Looking forward to what happens here.  I don't currently own a 3D printer, but hope to someday.  Perhaps I'll glean enough knowledge here to make an intelligent decision about what to look for in one.

- Joey
Welcome Joey!

If participation in the forums grows the way I hope it will, you should be able to get plenty of good advice.

If you have any questions at all, go ahead and post in the relevant forum - you can get answers, and help get the momentum going here at the same time.
Hi, Joey!

If I were you I'd jump right in and buy one if you have a few spare bucks. Moose are cheap so I'd go for something like a Monoprice Mini or Delta, get your feet wet without spending too much. Plan on a couple hundred bucks plus a couple of spools of filament to get started, say white and an interesting color (black, especially the cheap stuff, can be essentially left over floor sweepings and prone to troubles). They're small, but that will cover most of what most people make. The Delta is a bit cheaper, but they're more complicated and can be harder to figure out what's going on. I like HH3DP filament, but there's a lot of other choices.

Your first few prints probably won't work until you learn the basics including what it takes to make them stick to the bed, just consider that part of the learning process and part of the fun.

Good Luck!
------
KS Printrbot Plus, modified
Thingybot Delta
QU-BD One Up (parts, received with bad motor)
QU-BD RPM (incomplete box-o-parts, spindle never received)
Maslow CNC (4'x8' chain drive)
Zenbot Mini (6"x8" router, grbl_ESP32)
SainSmart Genmitsu 3018Pro
Ender 3 Pro
BobsCNC Revolution (FluidNC)
Hello from a New Guy. I found a ThreeUp kit clearance priced (Marked at $255, rang at $165, and it was my birthday.) I've got the thing assembled, it powers up with no smoke leaks, and all the axes work except the extruder. Found a couple of bent pins in the connection between the AT-Mega and Ramps board, but correcting that still doesn't help.

For the sake of others, I'm hoping my experience is atypical.
(2017-12-07, 11:49 PM)ChuckP Wrote: Hello from a New Guy. I found a ThreeUp kit clearance priced (Marked at $255, rang at $165, and it was my birthday.) I've got the thing assembled, it powers up with no smoke leaks, and all the axes work except the extruder. Found a couple of bent pins in the connection between the AT-Mega and Ramps board, but correcting that still doesn't help.

Hi Chuck, and Welcome!

Hopefully, someone here will be able to help you out with the extruder issue. It would be nice if you could post about the specific issue/s in the Q3D/QU-BD area, so we don't hijack Joey's thread. If it's not clear from other posts on the site, I have to point out that this site is no longer associated with Q3D/QU-BD in any way - we're just hobbyists with some of their products trying to build a community to help each other out.

Unfortunately, you're experience isn't really atypical - the company has been poorly run, and may very well no longer exist (we have no idea).

So, start a thread in the other area, and give us some more details. We'll see what we can come up with.

Stan
(2017-12-07, 11:49 PM)ChuckP Wrote: Hello from a New Guy. I found a ThreeUp kit clearance priced (Marked at $255, rang at $165, and it was my birthday.) I've got the thing assembled, it powers up with no smoke leaks, and all the axes work except the extruder. Found a couple of bent pins in the connection between the AT-Mega and Ramps board, but correcting that still doesn't help.

2 things... Software won't let you run the extruder motor unless the hot end ... is hot.  and 2nd, even if you have turned on the hot end - and it is truly hot - if the thermistor is not working then the software will still think it's cold and not let you turn on the extruder motor.